Thursday, October 11, 2007

World's oldest wall painting unearthed in Syria


I rarely (ok, never) comment on news stories, but this one caught my eye this morning on Yahoo! News. French archaeologists have discovered what they think is the world's oldest wall painting in Syria. From what I can tell from the very small photo that was released, it's a beautiful abstract form of rectangles that, as the article goes on to describe, is akin to the work of Paul Klee. What's funny is that the forms are very close to what I'm doing in my own paintings these days and I find it particularly inspiring that one of the world's oldest painters and an artist working in L.A. at the beginning of the 21st century are both fussing over the same things, maybe for different reasons, maybe not.

Here's a link to the article.

No comments: