Thursday, February 25, 2010

Circa 1935 Folk Art Painting of the Dionne Quintuplets






A great folk art painting of the famous Dionne Quintuplets currently available on eBay.

Here's a portion of the seller's description:

Measuring 19 ½” x 24", this circa 1935, hand carved and painted wood painting depicts the famous Dionne Quintuplets, their Mother and Father, a carving of their home and the hospital whwere they were born, and at the middle top is a small vignette of Dr. Defoe, who gave birth to the quintuplets. This antique hand carved painting is in wonderful original, untouched condition and there never have been any repairs. The two buildings, the people and the 5 babies are carved in relief, and then hand-painted.

10 comments:

Candler Arts said...

It is great. It'll be interesting to see if it sells. The reserve is well north of $3,000. I checked.

Joey said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it won't hit the $3500 reserve since that's pretty steep for eBay, but who knows?

I'm thinking $1200-ish?

Robert said...

That is really first-rate. So glad you made me aware of it; thanks!

Joey said...

No problem! Hope you can get it Robert!

Anonymous said...

It is a neat piece with great integrity, however if you do a little research the Dionne Quints they were a little "too" popular in their time and it appears that there was a little cottage industry creating folksy chachkas with their likenesses. I wish they were a little less "famous." Also they were Canadian and not to diss the Canucks, but there is a fair likelyhood that the piece may be Canadian which doesn't hold the same value in the marketplace as American folk art.

Joey said...

Hmmmm...I wonder if this was made for private consumption or whether this was made for a tourist market? It's something I didn't think of. With the Canadian attribution, I think it's def. a possibility and unfortunately happens all too often in the folk art field.

Candler Arts said...

To me it looks too personal and quirky to be made for tourist trade. But what if it was? Today it's something different. Canada or not, it's really cool. Just look at it.

Joey said...

I agree, it's very cool. Wish I could get it!

Greg said...

This piece ended up selling for $3,499.99.

Joey said...

Yeah, I was surprised it hit the reserve, especially on eBay. Hope it went to a good home.